Tuesday, September 27

Simple Rice Bowl




Summer brought me into the studio, painting almost every day. With fall coming I am sensing the need to nest, put things away, load up on supplies and to cook!

I am not a gourmet cook. I like simple foods combined together to form a taste and texture that will feel satisfying, yet not overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I am a fussy food lover- I just don't like to cook that way on a daily basis.



This combo is something that can be altered and developed to one's taste. I first got it from Cafe Gratitude's cafe where you get a bowl of brown rice and shredded kale and some beans. Simple and satisfying.

Here I added some white corn to the kale and a couple grape tomatoes from my garden and instead of brown rice I chose to use Forbidden Rice or Black Rice. This is not wild rice. This is a rice similar to a brown rice, but is black before you cook it and after cooking it is a gorgeous purple color.

The purple is due to an antioxidant called anthocyanins which is an added bonus. The rice contains more vitamin B, niacin, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc than white rice. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Foods)



 Some fresh salsa would be a welcome addition to this, or some Earth Balance spread on top too would make it richer.

I cooked my rice in my Fuzzy Logic cooker- which I swear by. I never made rice before I owned this because I hated the cleanup. Now I make rice almost every day either for me or my family.

Forbidden rice is on sale in the bins right now at Whole Foods. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and appreciate your comments