Sunday, February 27

Maca Lemon Macaroons

 Macaroons have been made again and again in the raw food community, for good reason. they are simple, tasty and handy to have around even for those who aren't raw foodists.

I wanted to kick things up and along came a suggestion to me for lemon macaroons.

I already make a great cashew lemon cookie from Cafe Gratitude's book, so I thought heading over to macaroon territory should be fun.




I combined the tart taste of lemon with the rich flavor of coconut butter in these macaroons. Maca rounds out the flavor with a hint of butterscotch and balances the vanilla.

recipe:

3 cups coconut that is preferably organic,shredded and raw
2/3 cup raw agave
pinch sea salt
3 T lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 T maca powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup coconut butter (soft)

mix well in bowl
scoop into little piles on teflex sheet for dehydrator
Dehydrate 12 hours at 105 degrees


As for my blood sugars and insulin needs with this recipe, two is my limit and the high fat content slows down the release of the blood glucose rise, so I take my insulin after I eat them rather than before. I may need to give most away when I make them because stopping at two will be a challenge!!!




I'd also say I could freeze them, which they would freeze wonderfully, but I don't like to freeze too much. I think freezing damages the cell structure of organic plant material. It's never quite the same afterward.

Enjoy these!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and appreciate your comments