Monday, March 21

the sweet potato test

I came across a recipe for dehydrated sweet potato chips on Vegetarian Times. I didn't know sweet potatoes could be eaten raw.  In all of my dehydrator escapades I had yet to try a sweet potato chip.





Instead of just trying the recipe out verbatim, I thought I'd give the potato a challenge. I made half of the recipe as instructed, and then the other half went in the oven instead of the dehydrator.

The oven batch came out crispy and delicious. It took about 10-12 minutes of baking before I flipped them over and finished them off with another 5 to even out the chip sides.

The flavor was a wonderful balance of sweet and salt, and I loved the hit of Rosemary. My daughter devoured the batch in a few minutes and was asking for more! (a make-again for sure)

The dehydrator recipe took about 4 hours at 118 degrees. Quite a wait!- but worth it to see how different they would come out.



They were terrible. Tough, not crispy, and although more pleasant to look at, I decided they make a great dog treat. No kidding! Bubbles, my 2 year old Bichon Frisee loved them. In fact, I may add them to my offerings at my etsy site.



So there you have it. The cooked and not raw variety won out over the raw variety. I do eat roasted veggies for dinner often, so making these chips will be a fun addition to my repertoire of root vegetable recipes.





Sweet Potato Chips

1 sweet potato
sea salt
1 T olive oil
1 tsp rosemary crumbled




Slice the sweet potato very thinly and on an angle to make nice large ovals. Place in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt to taste, and rosemary.
Arrange on cookie sheet lined with parchment.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes or until they start to brown and then flip over for another 5 minutes or so.

2 comments:

  1. Great info. I also love sweet potato fries. Maybe there's no bad way to make a sweet potato.

    Love the blissful pic of Bubbles. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog--so pretty and full of raw goodness! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate your comments