Saturday, January 8

kale chips





I inhale these. 

They are the bread and butter of raw snacks.

To make these you really need an Excalibur dehydrator. I had one of the round plastic kind when I first started raw a couple years ago, and it just can't compete with the Excalibur. First off, the temps stay controlled from top to bottom, and when I have the dehydrator fully loaded and my hear is set on all me recipes drying perfectly, I like knowing temps are consistent. The round one (I read) is not nearly as efficient or controlled, and when we go through all the work of soaking and drying, we want  a good end result right?

My recipe for kale chips is the standard one, although I don't really even use measuring spoons anymore. I eyeball it but then, I've seen Martha Stewart eyeball stuff on tv so I don't feel so bad! In fact, it's like a right of passage. I just know instinctively and I have made this enough times to know how much of what to use.

I use:

  • 1-2 bunches of kale torn into palm sized pieces and remove thick stem. (use enough so that each piece gets a good coating)
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 tsp raw agave
  • 1 t nutritional yeast
  • juice from a lemon or about 2T
  • 1 tsp himalayan salt
  • 1 cup soaked raw cashews ( at least 3 hours)
Using the S blade, process in food processor for about a minute. 
Toss mixture with kale in a big bowl and coat evenly. Put kale on trays and dehydrate at 115 degrees for at least 6 hours. Overnight is best. The longer the crisper! 

Keep in an airtight container if you don't eat them all as soon as they are done...

From a mom's perspective, and a wife as well! I can tell you the smell alone drives my family crazy nuts- they get so excited and want to eat them all. It can be first thing in the morning and my 8 year old would rather eat kale chips than her pancakes. Cool huh.

now for the links if you want to shop....

Excalibur 3900 Deluxe Series 9 Tray Food Dehydrator - Black Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Blue Agave, 44 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2) Bob's Red Mill T6635 Large Flake Yeast, 8-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)Himalayan Natural Crystal Cooking Pink Salt

1 comment:

I welcome and appreciate your comments